Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ubuntu for All

I am a long-time Linux user. Started back in the 0.99 days. That means I've used a lot of distros .. From slackware to fedora core and most things in between. In my nerdier days my favorite pick was gentoo. Now I am more interested in being productive. I have found ubuntu to be a great distro for getting work done. The ubuntu folks have paid great attention to detail. I love debian style package management. Apt-get is my friend. Ubuntu installs a good base system and most everything else I need is easily installed through the core repositories. I do have to add a source for grabbing the wine binary, but they provide good directions on their web site. And I usually install eclipse using the latest from their site, since the version in the ubuntu repository is typically stale. I like ubuntu so much I even run it on my servers. From firewalls to file servers .. It just works. They have the easiest LAMP setup I have seen. So hats off to the folks at ubuntu on a job well done.

No comments: